- This event has passed.
Young Melbourne Buddhist Gathering
Saturday May 19, 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
A weekly gathering of young people, 18 to 35, interested in Buddhism. An evening of meditation, Buddhism and community.
This week at YMB we are exploring the ‘five great stages of the path’. This formulation of the path was re-emphasized by Sangharakshita, the founder of the Triratna Buddhist community. These stages, which are also called ‘the system of practice’, include integration, positive emotion, spiritual death, spiritual rebirth and receptivity. In more practical terms Sangharakshita summarizes these stages as five simple precepts:
- Keep up the effort to be mindful and aware and as together as possible, as integrated as possible
- Remain in as positive a mental state as you possibly can
- Do not lose sight of your ultimate goal at any time
- Try to apply this to practice at every level whatever you’ve realised or discovered or seen on the highest level of your being at any time
- Do your best for other people, do what you can to help people
The afternoon will include a metta bhavana (loving kindness) meditation, an introduction to the 5 great stages and a 3 fold puja (devotional practice) and will be lead by Tejopala who is a member of the Young Melbourne Buddhists Team with help from Rob.